“The past is history, the future is a mystery, but today is a gift. That’s why its called the PRESENT”
What can you do to make your next meeting better….how about doing everything you can to be fully present and encouraging your meeting participants to be fully present?
Before your next meeting whether you are facilitating or a participant do what you can to move away from the past, stop worrying about the future and really enjoy the present moment.
Some ideas to try
- Update your “to-do” list and take some time to prioritize those tasks. You’ll have a better idea of what you need to tackle after the meeting and how any new requests and commitments made of you during the meeting fit in with what you already have on your plate.
- Before you go into the meeting take a walk and clear the mind. Look at something different for a few minutes, change the air and tempo.
- During the meeting look at your fellow meeting participants with real interest and curiosity for who they are right now, not who they were or what they said the last time you interacted with them. They can change from one meeting to the next just as you can. You don’t know who they are in this moment.
- If you are facilitating the meeting, remember you have the process but not the answer. You really don’t know the outcome and that makes facilitating much more fun.
- Bring your audience back to the present during the meeting….things like reminding them why they are there, making sure everyone is following and participating, turn off those cell phones, add some humor, add breaks, have everyone change seats…
Do you have other tips for being present?